Buying a travel insurance is the wisest decision you can make before traveling out of the country. That way if you happen to face any untoward incident on a foreign soil, you can always fall back on the insurance cover to help you deal with the problem. However, sometimes people are unsure as to how to properly file an insurance claim, and their claims get rejected; therefore, it’s vital to understand how to file a claim properly and what are the things you should keep in mind before filing a claim.
Firstly, let’s look at some of the primary pointers you should keep in mind:
- The amount you are claiming is under the coverage limit.
- The claim you are making is covered by your insurance provider.
- Crosscheck the fine print, making sure there aren’t any clauses that might result in the claim getting rejected.
- Whether it’s a new for old policy. If it isn’t, the amount, you get for items you’re claiming for will be less than the cost of replacing them. This is because the insurer takes off money for wear and tear.
Could My Baggage Claim be Rejected?
This is a rather tricky claim to make since most of the insurers expect you to be diligent and take care of your belongings, in short, do not keep valuable items strewn around someplace from where it might get stolen or misplaced easily. Also, it is important that you must inform the police within 24 hours or in case that is not possible, make sure that your tour manager, hotel representative etc. knows about it and get a written report as that would serve as proof for when you decide to claim insurance for the lost valuables.
How to claim insurance for medical emergencies and what’s not covered?
When claiming insurance for medical emergencies abroad, make sure that you do so directly with the insurer prior to undergoing medical procedures. However, keep in mind that should you have any pre-existing medical conditions which you hid from the insurer while buying travel insurance, your claim is likely to get rejected; therefore, make sure to be honest with your insurance provider to avoid any unnecessary confusions later on.
What kind of Trip Cancellation Claims are Entertained
Not all kinds of trip cancelation claims would be interested. Insurers need solid reasons for entertaining such a claim. So what are some of the legitimate reasons? Let’s have a look:
- Fire or unexpected damage to your home
- Unfortunate death in the family, illness or injury
- Advise against traveling by a medical practitioner post taking out the insurance.
- You are required in a legal matter by the judiciary.
Making a travel insurance claim can seem daunting at first; however if you know what to look out for and things to keep handy before making a claim, chances are, your claim won’t get rejected. Normally reputed insurers like HDFC ERGO will help you understand the claim process when you initially take out the travel insurance policy; however, it pays to stay informed.
Let us know how you liked this article by commenting below.
Free Resources - Savings Calculator from Finalaya